Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Pure Stubborness

First: mea culpa. Patient reader Patti pointed out that my blog was set to allow only comments from people with Blogger accounts. Oopsy. Who knew all those thingies in the Settings tab were important? But it's fixed, and now anyone can comment. Please take advantage of this Exciting! New! Feature!

On to the title of the post. I finished spinning the homely roving, and navajo plied it tonight. In my mind, if the singles fit on one bobbin, the plied version should too (never mind issues of puffing up). I really, really tried, as the (blurry) photo below indicates. Note the proximity of the yarn to the flyer:

What really aggravated me was the tiny remaining amount of singles. Grr.

Here's a (blurry) photo of the yarn. It's blurry because a) I'm a bad photographer, b) I never read the instruction manual for the camera, and c) this way you can't see the unevenly spun spots. All in all, it looks much better than I expected. Yay for happy accidents.

My other big accomplishment for the night was cooking dinner. I made scallops fra diavolo using the Cook's Illustrated recipe. Unlike many recipes in that magazine, this one is not only tasty but easy. Plus, it involves flames, since you get to torch some cognac.

And finally, because they're so cute: Dog is my copilot.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

mmmmm yarn. mmmmm scallops.

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of wheel do you spin on? I could never get that much plied yarn on my Louet bobbin - maybe, MAYBE 5oz.

Someday I want to set fire to dinner intentionally.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Elaine - It's a Betty Roberts' multiplier wheel. I'll post pictures on the next entry. That, by the way, is only 4 oz. (less, really, since I couldn't get all the singles on). The extreme close-up just makes it look like more.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home