Sunday, June 11, 2006

Attack of the Giant Hogweed

Hogweeeeeed!

Last year I noticed a plant with huge leaves just past my yard, on what is probably city property but maintained by myself and my neighbors.

This year, the plant shot up a 7 or 8-foot stalk and proceeded to bloom. Nancy and I were chatting on the phone on Saturday when I mentioned it, and she freaked out. Recent biology graduate Jamiehad just told Nancy about this dangerous noxious weed that can cause horrible photosensitive blisters if you come in contact with the sap. Nancy felt compelled to race over and confirm the giant hogweed sighting. Sure enough, that there's a hogweed, and it must go. I've filed on online infestation report (hee!), but who knows if I'll hear anything.

One of my neighbors is really sad about my plans to smite the hogweed, arguing that it's pretty. Nancy, however, is a woman with a mission. I received the following email from her on Saturday night:

Dear Melinda,
Jamie also wants to see the Giant Hogweed and assist in its eradication. We feel very strongly that this enterprise needs a Republican euphemism attached to it, especially since Republican cheapness is likely to be the cause of reduced noxious weed infestation management budgets: Operation: Stalk And All is my preferred choice. Perhaps as soon as Tuesday. Meanwhile, I am plotting logistics and strategies. I feel that a trip to Archie McPhees for a paper hazmat suit might be in order. Any tips on where to borrow a welding mask? Should we expect Media Coverage?

Yours,
Impatiently,
Nancy

Trent recommends that we go for Tyvek suits.

World Cup fever

We got out of bed at 6 a.m. this morning to watch the Netherlands' first match. Our Dutch friend P.J. sent Trent a spiff jersey to help us cheer more effectively. Here's a picture taken at halftime, with a clock to prove that we really watched it live.

Happily, they won. Chloe would have been heartbroken otherwise.


*No dogs were strangled nor humans bitten for this picture.

Knitting

I'm still working on the shawl. Chloe also kindly consented to model it. You can't really see the lace in this picture, but it gives a good idea of the color.


I've also been spinning up a storm. I've just about got the corriedale pencil roving I bought at the Expo done. Pictures after it's been washed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh hell, that's what that is. I have 2 in my back yard. Operation Stalk and All may need a northern component.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Camera Obscura said...

And here I was feeling all guilty because I'm nourishing a Chinese tallow on my kitchen windowsill.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh! I see tons of those en route to Mount Rainier Nat'l Park... both the Carbon River and Mowich Lake entrances. I just thought they were really, really tall Queen's Nettles or Queen's Lace. Learn something new every day.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you de-hog weeded yet?

The things Chloe puts up with. She must be a really sweet baby. The lace is a beautiful pattern. The handspun came out beautifully. That's a neat pattern.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home