Monday, May 22, 2006

The trials of dog ownership

I spent a chunk of time this weekend at the vet with Chloe. Several x-rays later, the vet determined (preliminarily) that the meniscus in her right rear knee is shot, and that's the main cause of her painful limp over the past week. (Also, her hip joints are deteriorating.) I'm waiting for the official verdict from the radiologist, but it looks like we'll be facing some sort of expensive dog repair. My favorite part of the visit was when the vet told me that for the foreseeable future, I'm supposed to keep her from running, jumping, and playing with Stella, and I should only take her for 5-10 minute business walks. I wish I had a picture of my face at that moment. We could use it right next to "incredulous" in the dictionary.

In other news, I finished the neck ribbing on Crofter's. For once in my knitting life, I managed to pick up EXACTLY the number of stitches called for, without having to work at it at all. I somehow doubt I'll be that lucky on the armholes. I also started a pair of socks from the oldest sock yarn in my stash. (They don't count as WIPs, really. It's just socks.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Dorothy Neville said...

oh dear, I am sorry to hear about Chloe. She's not old, is she? Why are her joints doing poorly?

1:27 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Chloe's at least 8. We're not really sure because she came from the animal shelter, so all we have to go on is what the former owner said. The hips are probably regular old arthritis. The knee is likely an injury from racing after Stella and crashing into things, but probably made possible by the existing arthritis. It's hard. I thought I was doing the right thing by making sure she got lots of regular exercise and play.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Dorothy Neville said...

of course you were doing the right thing. Should we stop running around and playing just because we might get injured or we will probably get arthritis in the future? If the arthritis had been hurting her a long time you would have known. But it is so hard when someone you love is in pain, specially hard when you feel guilty that you might have inadvertently exacerbated it. Even when rationally you should not feel guilty.

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, between your dog's leg and hip, and peeve's many teeth surgeries, we could easily do a special bionic pet show together! ah, the magic of charge cards for our little furry friends...

hugs!

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, poor little Chloe, it must be such a nightmare for her not being allowed to jump around and play and do what she likes. But if it's for her own good, then she just has to go through it - and hopefully she'll be better soon! Perhaps there's even a chance that you won't have to go through that really expensive dog-repair-process? I have my fingers crossed here that there's another solution, like pills or anything. All the best to Chloe - and you of course!

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Chloe, and poor Melinda! Please keep your furry rubber super ball from any movement...yeah, right. Good luck to you and your furry yours.

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home