Monday, July 02, 2007

The blog returns from holiday

I didn't set out to abandon the blog for an extended period. But I had to survive the end of the academic term (grading, ugh). Then I decided that for the first week of my vacation I was only going to do what I wanted to do, except for the bare essentials necessary to keep the household together. That translated into a lot of sewing, because I got a new sewing machine.

It's a Bernina Aurora 440 Quilter's Edition, purchased from my friendly neighborhood Bernina dealership. I love Bernie. She's fabulous. I've made placemats and napkins for my mom for a housewarming present.

I've made a baby quilt, and I charged right into the free motion quilting. (For perspective, the total baby quilt is about 40 x 40".)

And today I made a handbag. This is the Veronica bag from Lazy Girl Designs. This is a GREAT pattern. It's clearly written, illustrated with actual photos (with the bag's parts in different colors so you can tell what's going on), and very smartly designed.
There's been some more sewing, but that's what I've got pictures for. I made a valance and a couple of throw pillows for my niece, Camera Obscura's daughter, but I mailed them off without photographic proof. I'm sure Camera will post photos of these project in the redecorated room.

I did finish making socks for Jenine (Perkster of the comments) out of Tofutsies. I loved knitting with this yarn! I was afraid it would be stringy like some cotton yarns can be, but it was nicely plush and soft.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Melinda,

Your Veronica Pocketbook is fabulous. I love the interior fabric.

Great job!

Joan Hawley
Lazy Girl Designs

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those are my feets! : D

thank you so much!

i want to take sewing classes from you now. i think my machine is a husky. enjoy your time off! my god, woman, i can't believe how much stuff you crank out when you're craftin'.

ttys

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home