Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sweater surgery

My design project ran into a hitch. I finished the second sleeve and sewed it to the body. I persuaded a size small friend to try it on. The sleeve was dorky. It was too long, and the difference in gauge between the cuff and the sleeve made it poof above the cuff. Here's a picture of the miscreant, with the hood turned away in shame. (The picture fails to capture the full stupidity of the original sleeve.)

After long meditation and much advice-seeking, I decided to remove the cuffs and bottom 2" of sleeve (they were REALLY long).

Then I reknit the cuff so it was wider, decreased in the last row to allow for the gauge difference, and grafted it back on to the sleeve.

I'm just about done reknitting the second cuff. To deal with it, I have to unseam the sleeve that I've already attached to the sweater. I hope this damn thing is cute when it's done.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Gail said...

Wow, I'm impressed by your surgical intervention. I hope you'll bring this to the next Ferals meeting so I can see it!

12:27 PM  
Anonymous perkster said...

you're incredible.

/i'm/ a small friend. wish i could be local so i could look dorky at your house.

: )

1:29 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I make sleeves wrong all the time. Sleeves are my nemesis. Good for you for not settling.

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home