Sunday, July 22, 2007

The tale continues

I called every vet in town looking for a regular vet that was open on Sunday. VCA Crown Hill, Green Lake Animal Hospital, and Northeast Veterinary Hospital all have regular Sunday hours, but they were all booked solid. I gave up and took kitty to the emergency vet (which also happens to be the closest vet to my house, conveniently). It's a good thing the trip was short, as kitty was none too happy about the transport and wailed.

Two hours and a large chunk of change later, here's the story. Kitty is female, perhaps 3 - 6 years old, not spayed (please please please don't let her be pregnant), FIV/FeLV negative (yay!), radically underweight, and has a vile skin condition. The most likely cause of the skin issue (responsible for all those scabs and bald patches I could see last night) is flea dermatitis. The vet dosed her with Advantage for the fleas (not that we could see any, but she's black) and de-tapeworm stuff. I've got antihistamines to try to calm the itching, and antibiotics to fend off infections in the raw spots. I'll be sure and update y'all on how well administering these meds to the cat goes, since I'm sure you can use a laugh.

We'll take her to our regular vet at the end of this week to see how she's doing. If de-fleaing and the antihistamines don't start to help the skin problem, we'll have to have more tests done. Meanwhile, she needs to be kept separate from Rudy and Callie and the dogs, so she's currently living in the jumbo dog crate in the garage. I go hang out with her and knit. She wants to be a lap cat, as you can see.

Here's a pic that gives you a sense of her skin problems (the flash makes the bald spots stand out.)

Kitty needs a name, since she's going to be with us for awhile and I don't want to get stuck on "Kitty." Trent likes Wumpus. I was thinking Neko, after singer Neko Case because kitty has an impressive set of lungs. Then I remembered that neko is also the Japanese word for cat, so it's still sort of like calling her kitty. Any suggestions?

Oh, and Harry Potter
Before I got totally derailed with cat rescue, I was going to post about the acquisition and reading of the last Harry Potter novel. Here's the condensed (but illustrated!) version.
11:53: arrive at Ravenna Third Place Books.

11:55: find the end of the line, which was winding through all the bookshelves.

12:15: line turns corner into home stretch.

12:30: Mischief managed, head home.
3:00 am: Bleary eyed, go to bed.
11:00 am (approximate): recommence reading.
5:00 pm: finish reading. Feel satisfied, and much less bummed than I did at the end of book #6.

(Incidentally, am I the only person in the whole world who likes the 5th movie, the one that's freshly out? I really enjoyed it, but several people whose opinions I generally value thought it was purely wretched.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

As for the cat...no name suggestions are coming to mine but I'll think on it. Glad that she is getting the help and love that she deserves. Hope that the skin condition clears up soon.

HP...Glad to hear that you liked the book and the movie. My sister loved the movie but I have yet to get to the theater to see it. I'm so bummed! I also haven't had a chance to get the book either. I want it so badly! I'll let you know what I think about the movie later.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you should name the cat "the temp". poor thing. she looks a lot like peeve in some ways. hope you find a home asap for her. post to ichat and craig's list before she starts costing as much as chloe's leg. ; )

i'm such a worn out librarian that i haven't had a chance to read the book or see the movie. but, my teens had a good time at the events at work sat. and we did a little reading circle. plus, i got the book and audio book on hold since i'm cheap.

hugs all around. : )

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baldy? Spot? Snowball? You can see I am a fount of creativity here.

I wonder if TLC and good nutrition might cure the skin condition and any other lingering problems, perhaps not as fast as drugs, but certainly more economically. Take good care of her; a good lap cat is hard to find. Just start right away to teach her that the yarn that twitches nearby is not hers to play with. (Good luck on that one!)

6:09 PM  
Blogger Dorothy Neville said...

I loved book 5, I loved how the political maneuverings were so scarily believable. However, I was a bit disappointed in movie 5. Mostly because I thought it was clear Emma Watson didn't want to participate or she has not grown as an actress. Either way, her acting was wooden. Some of the dialogue they gave her contributed to my irritation as well. And the rest of the students seemed one muddy clump instead of individuals (except Luna, who was excellent). But I did think that the vision was pretty good and that some of the cinematic interpretations worked very well.

My family has all finished book 7, which is great as we can now openly discuss it at home. We agree with the majority of opinions I have read, that it was overall satisfying.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I agree with kmkat that a good lap cat is hard to find . . . so this one might be a treasure! I suggest "Pumpkin" for her name.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home