Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Yet more sewing, and back to work

I finished a baby quilt (batted and backed, quilted, and bound). I don't have a recipient in mind for this one.

I also assembled most of our future quilt. This is more or less made from the first pattern in Karla Alexander's latest book, New Cuts for New Quilts.

As soon as it cools off enough that I can bear to deal with a giant pile of fabric, I'll add the borders and start to consider how I'm going to back and quilt this sucker. I frequently have moments in which I think, what the hell am I doing, making a large quilt? I'm clueless and kind of inept. Of course, there's a certain advantage to that: there's not a chance in hell that this thing is going to be heirloom quality, so it can get used and washed and covered in cat hair without too many regrets.

Oh, and I made another new skirt. This one is McCall's M5431. Here's an arty shot of the pocket, since I couldn't be arsed to hang it up and try to get a decent full length shot:

I'm planning to wear the skirt to my first day back in the trenches tomorrow. I desperately, completely don't want to go to work. I'm sure I'll get back into the swing of things and not actively feel like I'm being tortured, but it's hard to imagine that right now.

Incidentally, Seattle's temperatures topped out at a record-breaking 98 today. Trent reports that the thermostat inside our house registered 88 at one point this afternoon. I abandoned ship at around 1:00, when it was 83, and went to Ballard to visit the Quilting Loft and see the new Harry Potter. It's a good movie, and it was fun to see it with the matinée crowd, but that's not why I went. Let me just say: 153 minutes of air conditioning!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something I do when it is unbearably hot: wet a cotton kerchief, wring it out, and tie it around my neck. It helps keep me cool as the water evaporates. Actually I have a couple of neck thingies filled with silicon crystals that absorb huge amounts of water -- they stay damp much longer.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Love your quilts! Maybe one day I'll get back to quilting.

Can't wait to see Harry Potter myself and hope to do it soon.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home