Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Operation Stalk and (not quite) All

The Hogweed saga continues

Jamie and Nancy came over today to deal with the hogweed. They made a plan,

they suited up*,

and they chopped that sucker up.

(Sadly, the action shots of the hogweed toppling were extremely blurry, possibly because I was running away at the time.)

Unfortunately, due to a failure in intelligence-gathering, we were unable to complete the mission. We ran into a hornet's nest. No, really. When Nancy tried to dig out the stump of the hogweed, hornets started buzzing up out of the ground. I'm going to deploy small amounts of herbicide to finish off the remainder of the evil invader.

*Note: Actual Tyvek suits! While this may look like a slightly excessive level of precaution, Jamie told me the real-life horror story of her housemate, a landscaper who inadvertantly got into a bunch of this stuff and now has wrist to shoulder blisters, so it may not be very excessive after all.

World Cup fever continues

What a good thing that we're really cheering for the Netherlands and not our native country. The US just stone cold sucked against the Czech Republic. I mean, there's no shame in losing, but there's lots of shame in wandering idly around the field like it's a kindergarten recess. I felt bitter. My gauge is probably off on the rows I knit during that match.

I'm still knitting the shawl. I'm going to add some lace repeats because it's not as big as I'd like. Sorry I don't have anything more exciting to report on the knitting front.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could be worse. Spain just finished shellacking Ukraine 4-0.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Dorothy Neville said...

A friend of mine just told me when she found some at a local park and reported it, the park crew showed up in haz-mat suits to remove it. So that tyvek isn't overkill.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Rebecca Mongrain said...

Those pictures tell 10,000 words! I love it!

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omigod! Hogweed AND hornets!!!!!!

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home