Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Breaking News

1) The flashy electrical stuff in the sky is lightning, not lightening. Thank god none of my students know about my blog, or I'd never hear the end of it.

2) According to the local news, Seattle is now "bracing" for an "arctic blast." I especially enjoyed the weather map with the little "ARCTIC" labels floating over Canada.

3) I take back all my mean mutterings about Cheryl Oberle. The Clock Vest pattern is smartly enough written that when charts A & B start occurring on the back, you're on the same row of those charts as the fronts. (Yes, I realize that doesn't make sense to anyone but me, but I wanted to clear my conscience by publicly stating that I was wrong about how much I was going to have to keep track of.)

4) I'm agonizing over the length of the vest. It's for my mom, it's a surprise, and she's very petite. I think I'm going to aim for 20 - 21", with 11" for the bottom and 9" for the armholes. It would, of course, be easier if I could ask her, but then it wouldn't be a surprise.

5) No pictures because I'm trapped at work all freakin' day today.

6) Nancy? Are you out there?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Hi, Melinda - I thought your were just quoting the weather guys :)

If you are afraid your students may see the misspelling - you can edit your topic and no one new to the blog would ever know! Of course, you'd have to edit today's entry too! :)

Do you have any friends about your mother's size? That might help you.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melinda, there is a very famous knitting blogger who, while not an English professor, is a published author and she cannot distinguish between its and it's or lose and loose. That drives me crazy. Otherwise I find occasional misspellings easy to overlook.

The thing that really drives me crazy is the mismodified opening preposition. I don't know the official title for the error but it's the "as a knitter, sheep are your friend" or "while driving down the road, the rock loomed ahead" sort of thing. Every year the annual appeal from the museum opens with something like this: "As a member of the Seattle Art Museum, SAM welcomes you." Hello, is SAM a member of SAM?

End grammar rant.

I am looking forward to seeing a photo of your vest. It must be nice to see that there was some unexpected intelligence put into the instructions.

I am at the shaping-the-armhole section of my sweater back. Took a photo of it today in the sunshine and maybe will upload it somewhere.

(please don't nitpick my grammar too much --- I was a math major :) )

5:03 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

That grammar problem you're referring to is, I believe, the infamous dangling modifier. One of my all-time favorites occurred in a student's narrative paper. He was describing his father's experiences in the Vietnam War, and produced this gem: "Having been shot in the knees, helicopters evacuated my father from the jungle."

I'll try to get the latest vest picture up tonight. I always work on it at night, and it's hard to get adequate light in my house to take a picture that really shows the cables off.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home