Monday, February 13, 2006

Thunder...AND LIGHTENING

My god, I love the Seattle weathermen. The headline news right after the Olympic coverage was "Seattle hit with wintery blast."

Some areas received a snow and hail.

AND!

They have received reports of thunder and lightening.

I'm not sure I'm adequately conveying the silliness of the anchorman reporting that viewers have reported thunder, or the absurdity of their live coverage of a dusting of snow on a car lot.

In fairness, weather coverage is stupid everywhere. My dad was a television news cameraman (long long ago, back when the cameras actually used film). He used complain about slow news days, because it invariably meant one of the reporters would haul him out to do some weather news. "Yes, sir, we're having some weather here today." And, like the reporters during last summer's hurricanes, they'd want to do live shoots during our local bad weather - tornadoes. "Yes, Steven, I'm standing here at the Fairview Trailer Park, where a funnel cloud has been spotted and AAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIEEEEE...."

Olympic Knitting: Day 4
No new pictures, because the vest looks exactly like it did yesterday, but slightly longer. I did make it to The Fiber Gallery to buy more yarn, and Jessica told me her tale of woe about her Olympic project. Dorothy and her friend Kathleen both report satisfactory progress. There's been no news from Team Nancy. So, umm, Nancy - leave a comment, eh?

I'm preparing to ignore the instructions. The vest as written has armholes that are more than 50% of the length of the vest. I think that will look stupid, so I'm going to divide for armholes later. That means I have more to keep track of, but I'll soldier on, like the brave but bruised Chinese skater, or Hannah Teter with her bum knee. Only, you know, with post-its instead of cortisone shots and ace bandages.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Ah yes, weather reports... close to the silliest part of the news!

I have been inspired to work on my own blog. I opened it last July and never revisited it until this week. So, I have a double challenge - my projects and my blog! You can see some of my projects there now! (and I think you can click on my name and be taken there... if not, I'll post again)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Well, it takes you to my profile and the blog link is at the bottom!

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear the NEWS TICKER announcing the occurrance of thunder and lightning ran less than 30 seconds after it happened. I kept looking out my window, trying to spot Jim Foreman in his parka.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, but Kathleen, you live in a part of the world where thunder and lightning occur regularly. Summer thunderstorms are one thing I miss living in Seattle. I laughed at Melinda's comments because I was thinking the same thing. We had two (count them, two) flashes of lightning and it was newsworthy! woohoo!

Melinda, good luck with ignoring pattern instructions. You are brave. The details of that vest are way beyond me. I hope to see it further along or completed and get inspired to learn to knit cables and other such complicated things.

Nancy's been working seemingly nonstop since Saturday. I swear no one in NE Seattle is cooking, the deli is always swamped. She told me yesterday that she's still on the ribbing, but I have faith in her.

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They do always send that Jim Foreman out into the worst of EVERYTHING, don't they. I always wonder who he made angry. It's been years, they sure hold a grudge . . .

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home