Friday, September 22, 2006

Weekly update

Oops, time certainly flies on by, doesn't it?

I'm at work, so this is a pictureless update.

Knitting
I'm still working on Trent's sweater and Black Roses. I'm thrilled that I'm finally ready to start the interesting charts on Black Roses, but I haven't had the time to sit down and concentrate on it since last Monday. I finished a pair of socks for Trent (sorry, no pics - they went pretty directly onto his feet), and I'm working on a pair that's designated as a Christmas gift.

I had a very knitty week. Monday night was Feral Knitters, where Janine kindly advised me on how to redo Black Roses for steeks. Tuesday night I went and knit with Avril. Wednesday I went to the Seattle Knitters Guild meeting, where Karen of Two Swans was giving a talk. I picked up June's super-cute tea cozy pattern, hot off the presses.

Work
has sucked. I had to get some course materials approved by a person at headquarters. The person likes to exercise her authority. It turns out that I react badly to being asked to do pointless work just because someone else said so. Eventually, I caved in just to get done with it. Specifically, I caved on the issue of whether or not the play Romeo and Juliet is narrative literature. To me, narrative = story. To evil overseer, narrative = narrator, I guess. Anyway, I feel like I lost a little bit of my soul when I gave up instead of continuing to argue.

I got my schedule for next term. Starting in November, I'll be teaching 18 credit hours (that's 5 courses). Yee-haw.

Be Nice to Others


Ryan has officially kicked off Dulaan 2007. Start your needles, knitters. She has a long post with all the details.

Meanwhile, a very good friend (Perkster, from the comments) is a youth librarian in Fayetteville, Arkansas. She writes,

New teen knitting group with a zero budget needs your extras! send
any quantity of supplies to:

Teen Knitting Group
Fayetteville Public Library
401 W. Mountain St.
Fayetteville, AR 72701

They'd appreciate yarn any yarn or needles. If you have something in your stash that you think a teenager would dig, send it her way. If you have questions, or want to pass something to me to send to those knittin' library teens, you can email me at mkmorrow at yahoo dot com.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dorothy Neville said...

narrative = having a narrator?!? if it weren't so frustrating for you, it would be really funny.

actually, I thought narrative meant a story. so narrative literature would kinda be redundant? but I bet you english professor types are more technical than that.

now you got me thinking: can I think of anything that would qualify as literature that is not narrative...

5:09 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Dorothy - lyrical poetry, some absurdist drama, maybe Finnegan's Wake....

5:36 PM  
Blogger Dorothy Neville said...

ah, thanks for the examples. I think I had only two lit classes in college, shakespeare and a science fiction class where we read really depressing books. there's some narrative in math, but mostly just juicy-gossip backstory on some of the famous mathematicians.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Can't wait to see further pictures of the Black Roses.. so impressive. Thanks for the link to Dulaan and to the library knit group — I have tons of spare needles as I don't really use straight needles, which I didn't realize was going to be the case when I started to learn to knit... er. I'm rambling. Come see what your handspun has become on my blog!

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home