Monday, March 19, 2007

To illustrate

More fun with technology: the MacBook will connect to Blogger if we use an ethernet cable instead of wireless. Trent has had a few go-rounds with tech support about this fun issue. (Note: issue still not resolved. I've given up and am using my work computer, which is probably against some policy.)

The Spider's-web Shawl
It's really hard to take a picture of lace-in-progress, especially when you have 700+ stitches crammed onto a 32" needle. But here it is, in all its eye-searing glory (remember, you can click on the pictures to embigify them):

Here's what it wants to be when it grows up:

Spider's-web shawl, full hexagon, from Victorian Lace Today, out of Karabella laceweight mohair. At this point, it takes over an hour to do two rounds (one patterned, one plain), and I have 42 rounds left, so this may be a loooooong term project.

Sewing
As I mentioned in the last post, I'm trying sewing clothes again. Inspired by the Dress a Day blog, and a couple of upcoming weddings I need to attend looking respectable, I decided to start with dresses. Here are my chosen victims:

I'll be attempting view A, shown in tan, on 3877 (the first pattern above), and view D (shown in mauve) on 4050. I spent a couple of evenings working on bodice fit for 3877, and I still haven't quite conquered the sleeves, so I decided to start with 4050, which is much easier to fit. I'm going to be using stash fabric, some polyester I bought in Vancouver, BC in the Indian district several years ago. The view I'm making has thin ribbon trim, which should be just a boatload of fun to sew onto polyester. I cut the dress fabric tonight, but I haven't cut the interfacing yet. I scanned the fabric for you:

I bought 3877 for the black and white print in the middle of the picture below (it's a stretch cotton), but now I think that the skirt, which has godets, is too full for the fabric, which is a tiny bit on the stiff side. I may alter the dress into a real wrap dress and take out the godets, or I may pick a different pattern for this fabric. So, 3877 is now designated for the screaming red rayon/linen blend at the far right of the picture below.

The fabrics on the left are a gorgeous wool windowpane check, and a cotton 1930's print reproduction. I purchased them both at Britex Fabrics in San Francisco.

100 Miles by April 1

I'm in real trouble here. I'm at 73, assuming my count is remotely accurate.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the word embigafy.. hope i spelt it right... I clicked on the spider shawl... but with my rural dial up connection it took too long to load and I gave up waiting..

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

embigify? You teach what subject at a college level?

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that spiderweb is far too huge and daunting to us lowly knitters. and i am truly shocked by the shocking pink! that's going to get attention in any weather fo' sho'. : )

8:18 AM  
Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

Spiderweb is going to be gorgeous, especially in that color! Can't wait to see it finished. Though I guess I'll have to wait a while :)

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. I too love "embigify." It reminds me of when my older son was in high school; he and his friends would use words like that which exactly conveyed the meaning they wanted but did so in a creative way.

2. Is the pattern on the right a Duro-style dress? (See, I read A Dress A Day, too)

3. What are godets? Google "define:" failed me on this one.

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Embigify? If a University teacher uses it I can be fearless in public. Another blog has raised "Cardiganize" to the highest level. Luvvit! Missed you at Ferals unless you snuck in later to the unbelievable crowd we had Monday night. We had to bring in another table! Barely walking room! Zowee. And the quality of the visitor's fair isle numbers was astounding. I'm going to have to get a pseudonym to hide behind or something in my embarassment at lack of true Feralage. Love the first fabric you show for your dresses - almost a retro Japanese Ikat style - Indian Ikat is also very cool and very back in style from my last visit there. I take it you're not sleeping these days having taken on all this?

Linda "K"

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home