Thursday, March 30, 2006

WIP It Out Day

(Trent, sweetie, you might stay happier if you don't read this post.)

Elspeth had the bright idea that March 31st be the day of revealing WIPs. The good news is that I have fewer WIPs than I thought. Really, it's not that bad. Of course, I only counted projects that have actual knitting done - not the "on deck" projects that are waiting for their chance.

The list is organized by type, and by how often I work on them within each type.

Socks
1. Cirque du Socks pink sparkly socks - see my last post for a picture. Sock 1 on toe decreases, completion scheduled by the end of April.
2. Wildfoote Handpaints "Rock n Roll" socks for Trent. On sock 2's ribbing. (Yes, Mom, I know the finished sock is funny looking. It really does fit.) These are my purse knitting project - they go to concerts, restaurants, and friends' houses, so progress is erratic but ongoing. I started these on our honeymoon trip (Dec. 19), so they're not too antique at this point.




3. 1960's ski sweater socks in yarn melange. I ended up with two odd balls of handspun, which I put together with two equally random stash yarns in a slip stitch pattern (from one of the Barbara Walker treasuries). The color and pattern reminds me of a cheesy ski sweater, hence their informal name. That's sock 1, somewhere in the gusset decreases, where it's been for, oh, 2 or more years. It's hard to keep the yarns untangled, and the use of 4 colors prevents the project from being portable. But now that these have emerged from the garage, I'm going to finish them. Someday.

Shawls
4. Pacific Northwest Shawl in, umm, some merino lace yarn. I think I cast on for it sometime in the last year and a half, because it was after we moved to this house. I'm to the waves, not that you can tell from this picture. I work on it very occasionally, but will eventually finish.




5. Pi shawl in random cotton/cashmere yarn. Hmm, I started this about a year ago when someone on the Spinlist started the EZ as Pi group. I rapidly lost enthusiasm, as you can tell by the missing needle. This is getting frogged, definitely. I think I'll have to dye this yarn in order to develop any interest in using it.




Charity
6. Dulaan cloud sweater in woolease and mohair. This is a top-down raglan in need of sleeves. I'll do that just as soon as I find the 16" size 9. (Note: It's weird how zig-zaggy the variegation looks in this photo - it's much more muted in person.)





7. Dulaan sweater in woolease and some shiny mohair stuff. This is my work project. It lives in my desk drawer for those times at work when I have time to knit. I average about 6 rows a week, but like the tortoise... (And yes, my desk at work IS that messy, and you're not even seeing the worst of it.)




Sweatery Stuff
8. Crofter's slipover from Folk Vests in Rowanspun 4-ply. This is making progress - I only have 3 XO patterns left to go, and all that corrugated ribbing around the neck and armholes.






9. Carpathian Black Roses from Norsk Strikkedesign. I got the sleeve mostly done while figuring out my gauge (and becuase the chart was fun). Then I started the body, and now I'm in the valley of the shadow of the lice pattern. It's slow going. I need something like an uninterrupted weekend of movies to make some progress.




10. Scandinavian Star vest from Folk Vests in Silky Wool. All this needs is the arm facings and some minor finishing (sew up hem, sew on clasps). Here's the thing: it's not going to fit me. I can't frog it because it's steeked (and I wouldn't, anyway - that was an assload of work), but it's hard to get enthused about picking up a million stitches on something I can't wear. I finished knitting the rest of this in October when I was visiting my mom, so it's certainly been sitting for awhile.

11. Linen Drape Shell from some issue of IK in Jaegar Trinity. This is a SLEEVELESS top, y'all, and it doesn't even require picking up armhold facings. That's the back and part of the front. The front is a v-neck, so once I hit the neck it will be less and less knitting each row. I set this aside because the Trinity sort of hurts my hands (I'm knitting it tight) and it's black, so it's damn hard to see what I'm doing. I'll get back to this one.


12. Garter Stitch Jacket from Simply Beautiful Sweaters in Dive Fiamma. Oy. I'm not going to finish this. I started this when I was a new knitter, before I learned that bulky knits make me look, well, bulkier. I'm going to frog this sucker and turn it into cute little kid sweaters, I think.




And a blanket
13. Aran sampler blanket squares, 5 complete, #6 on needles. I think I need 9 or 12 of these to make a respectable throw. It's a gift for friends. It's squares. I have no discipline. But this will eventually get done.

So, 13 WIPs, 2 of which will be frogged. That's not horrible, right? Right?

6 Comments:

Blogger Zonda said...

Beautiful socks and sweaters!

2 out of 13...not bad, at least you plan to reuse it..so it won't stare you in the face! :)

7:57 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

that's not bad at all. I am too scared (and too lazy) to get all my wips/ufos out.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right! Not horrible!

(it's really not horrible - not even bad)

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not approve. I think I feel a Musician's Friend order coming on.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

trent:

you may NOT buy another instrument period. rather, you should help poor melinda by learning how to sew in ends, etc. teamwork.

; )
je9

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The very thought troubles me so much I think I'm going to have to order new pickups for the Les Paul. And then drink a lot.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home