Saturday, April 29, 2006

Sleep shopping

I had to give a final exam at 8:00 AM this morning (yes, on a Saturday) to my film and literature class. I realize that there are lots of people in the world who spring out of bed and are hard at work by 8 every morning. I'm not one of them. I greet the morning squinty-eyed and surly and require a spatula and an IV drip of tea to pry myself out of bed. So I wasn't exactly at my sparkling best this morning. To console myself for the horror of the early exam, I decided to swing by the Seattle Knitting Expo marketplace on my way home.

I don't have clear memories of what happened, but apparently even in my zombie-tired state I managed to reach for my credit card. Some roving followed me home.

On the left, 18 oz of Coopworth from Rainshadow Farm in Kingston, WA. She had really beautiful naturally dyed yarn, too, which I managed to resist. The two balls on the right are 4 oz batches from Reflection Farm in Eatonville. The wool is Romeldale/CVM, gorgeously immersion dyed, and soft, soft, soft. I managed to resist all the commercial yarn, but I'm weak for local wool when the people selling it are the people who raise the sheep. I'm going back to the market tomorrow with Nancy (to help her shop, like a good friend).

On the knitting front, I finished the Dulaan cloud sweater. It's very cuddly, and the flashing thing the yarn did is fun. This is Wool-ease that my sister Lynette gave me stranded with Bollicine Sissi.

I've been spinning this evening, trying to free up the wheel so I can play with my new wool. (Also, I need to grade a bunch of papers for the film and lit class, so spinning is the natural, obvious, and useful thing to do.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Noooooooo! I did not know about the Seattle Knitting Expo. Drat... Missed another one! I must spend the remainder of the day in a state of mourning.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thumbs up on the Cloud Sweater, Melinda! The Mongolians and I say "thank you!!!!!!"

-Ryan

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the new wool you got for yourself is beautiful, no wonder you couldn't resist it! I especially like the one on the right - looking forward to see what you're going to make with it!
And your Dulaan cloud sweater looks so amazing, you did such a great job with that!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Teyani said...

You will love the stuff from Rainshadow Farm - the woman who owns it is a friend (and our shearer ! You can see her in action on my blog from yesterday!)
It was good to meet you at Knitter's Expo

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home