Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Spin-o-rama

I've been spinning. A lot. This may have something to do with the massive quantities of wool I bought over the weekend. In addition to the three roving balls pictured in the last post, I got more when I went back on Sunday. The latest acquisition is corriedale pencil roving from Crown Mountain Farms in the color "Silver Fox." I may also have bought some sock yarn, but as my knitting friends (hi, Jenn!) often point out, sock yarn doesn't count.

I plied some singles that had been sitting around, and started on the Romeldale roving from Reflection Farm (the orange and red roving in the last post). I'm in love. It's glorious to spin - soft, even, easy-drafting. I decided to use the two colors together. I made two bobbins of singles with random lengths of each color and plied them together. That should give me stripes of red, orange, and tweed. 4 oz spun up to about 440 yards, pictured on the right below.

The other yarn is from my New Year's Eve dyeing experiements. The yarn on the left is made from corriedale roving that I hand painted and steamed. I split it into thin strips and navajo plied to mix up the colors. The yarn in the middle is shetland, spun from roving that I dyed with the hot pour method. I like the subtlety of the colors, although they don't show up well in the picture. It's not the uniform periwinkle that it looks on my monitor.

8 Comments:

Blogger Camera Obscura said...

It's your monitor, sis. It comes up in everything from deep periwinkle to light lilac on my new 20-inch Mac monitor...

(Bwah-hah-hah.)

11:17 AM  
Blogger Dorothy Neville said...

they are beautiful, and not uniform on my monitor either. More luscious in person though I bet. I've got my dyeing supplies but probably won't use them til next week. Maybe we can have a tea excursion and you can give me some pointers.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That yarn is so beautiful, even with the non-uniformity on my monitor - it looks so soft, probably heavenly to the touch!

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the one on the right mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyummy

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shouldn't sock yarn count double? I mean, really, you use it to make pairs of socks.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sock yarn doesn't count, and yarn in your stash that is spun by Melinda doesn't count either. Until you knit it up and then it counts as one project done, so you can buy more yarn. Those are the rules, Trent.

Lori

And I agree with Karen mmmmmmmmm.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aiiieeeee!!! I think I need to buy something. Anything. I'm not really sure what, though.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trent: I would purchasing a nice gift of sock yarn.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home