Monday, May 08, 2006

SP8 Questionnaire

I'm signed up for Secret Pal 8. I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to post a text file somewhere else and link to it, so it's just going to have to go here in the main blog. My apologies to uninterested readers.

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love all kinds of wool – fat, thin, soft, and scratchy. I’m not a huge fan of 100% cotton because it kind of hurts my hands to knit with it, but I like cotton blends.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have a needle roll that I use for DPNs and straights, a zipper case with ziplock baggies that I use for circs up to size 9 (bigger ones don’t fit so well), and other stuff gets tossed in an accordion file in a giant scary tangle.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I’ve been knitting for about 5.5 years. I think of myself as an adventurous intermediate knitter. I haven’t found anything I can’t do yet, but there are lots of techniques (like entrelac) that I haven’t really felt compelled to try yet.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/131A7JV99OJLT/103-1477383-1844647

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I like fruity and spicy. I’m allergic to several artificial floral scents, so I try to stick with stuff that smells like food. (Allergy note: I’m very allergic to cedar, as well.)

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Favorite? Is that possible? I don’t think I’ve ever met a chocolate I didn’t like. I’m not a huge fan of hard candies.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I spin. I crochet a little. I sew occasionally (I’m proficient, but knitting really consumes my crafty energy these days). I’ve done some felting projects, and I’ve done some dyeing.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
My musical taste is wildly eclectic. I like classic country (Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn), alt-country (Neko Case, Wilco), world music (especially African music), and lots of other things. I’m not such a fan of opera, or of most of the stuff that gets played on commercial radio these days.
My computer plays MP3s, and I have both an iPod and a flash player for windows media files.

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
My favorite color to work with is red, followed closely by purple and blue. I tend to gravitate toward rich colors. I like earth tones, but they make me look jaundiced, so I only use them for other people.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I’m married to a very understanding husband. We have two dogs and two cats, but no human children.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear scarves, hats, mittens, and shawls, but not ponchos. (I’m busty, and they make me look like a schmoo.)

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks and hats, because they’re small and portable. I also like knitting complicated sweaters.

13. What are you knitting right now?
You’re joking, right? Okay, current WIPs:
A fair isle vest
A scandanavian colorwork sweater
A plain kid's sweater for charity
Two pairs of socks
A lace shawl (the Pacific Northwest Shawl)
And some unloved projects that I’m ignoring for various reasons (won’t fit, yarn hurts hands, etc.)

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I like all kinds of needles. I like wooden straights, metal circs, and bamboo DPNs (except for 2 mm DPNs, which I have to use metal for or I break them).

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Yup, both.

17. How did you learn to knit?
My mom taught me the first time when I was much younger (maybe 5th grade?) but it didn’t stick. She got me started again one Christmas. I learned everything else from books and the Internet.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?
Oh, dear. Ummm, 4 years? I think?

19. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving. Mmmm, food.
20. Is there anything that you collect?
Besides yarn? Not really.
21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
See my Amazon wish list for books. I have subscriptions to Interweave Knits and Spin-Off. I’ve been really curious to try some of the Knit-picks lace yarn (especially the alpaca) but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.
22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I’d sort of like to try needle felting (I know it’s not knitting). I keep meaning to learn to knit short-row heels for my socks, too, but haven’t gotten around to it.
23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I do knit socks. My feet are:
9.5” long
9” around
My ankles start at 9” around, and get pudgy fairly rapidly.
24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
December 19 (also my wedding anniversary).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

re: "but not ponchos. (I’m busty, and they make me look like a schmoo.)"

how could you be so funny?!

miss you, from ar.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home