Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Join the herd, and help a grad student

So, I was reading Norma's blog tonight, and she posted about this project. An intrepid grad student is researching the speed of meme travel*, and, in a very funny announcement that you really should go read (no, really, click here) has begged bloggers to participate.

The results will be presented at the MLA. Now, I've managed to avoid ever attending an MLA conference, and I've heard that they're soul-sucking vortices of ego and despair. But by golly, this is an interesting project. Mr. Kaufman, the instigator, is an English grad student, but the methodology (he's hoping to produce actual numbers!) and subject sound much more social sciences, and very much like the sort of research that Trent's colleagues at the Information School at UW pursue.

Dear readers, if Mr. Kaufman succeeds in this research, he may become that rarest of creatures, an employable PhD in English. I beg of you, if you have a blog, to: link to his project, explain his project, and then ping Technorati.

*Because I found this meme on Norma's high-traffic blog, by participating I'm supporting his hypothesis. I feel like such a follower...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interestingly, two blogs I read regularly, yours and one very high traffic site, both pointed me to this today, before I'd even had my first cup o' tea.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

I suspect the meme travel is going to be crazy-fast! Cool study, though.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home