Sunday, November 12, 2006

Knitting update - charity edition

I realized that the only knitting I can show you is what I've been doing for Dulaan. I'm still working on Carpathian Black Roses and Trent's fair isle sweater, but they're progressing slowly and look much like they did last time I took pictures.

On the other hand, the super-bulky Dulaan yarn means I can finish things fast. Here's the latest:


The gold one (vertical garter stitch) has made a previous blog appearance, but I think it looks much nicer with buttons, and with its little raglan friend.

I've also started mittens. Someone (hi, Lynette!) sent me a very cool book, 1001 Great Knitting Motifs. If multi-color knitting is your drug of choice, this book is like a well-connected dealer. It's got world-wide color patterns arranged by area of origin and size. I had to use it immediately, so:

I'd be tempted to keep these for myself (they match my earflap hat), but they're a little small. All four colors are handspun. I tend to accumulate a lot of handspun in small batches (a few ounces) and not use it. These four yarns represent 3 or 4 years of fiber acquisition and spinning.

The burgandy is dyed Romney purchased in Nanaimo (Vancouver Island) so long ago that I can't remember the date. I spun it on my Louet, and it's pretty darn lumpy. The white is Lincoln/Suffolk cross from a farmer on Vashon Island. Nancy and I went to sheep shearing 2 or 3 years ago, and this was the first yarn I processed and spun from those fleeces. It's lovely and shiny and strong, but (again) uneven, and I wasn't very good at Navajo plying (chained singles) yet, so there are lumps. The gray is alpaca, from Cloud Ranch alpacas and my first trip to Alpacapalooza (again, 3 or 4 years ago). It was spun pretty recently, though, (maybe this year?) and is a fine, consistent 3-ply. The fuzzy pink is alpaca/wool blend from Slug Ranch (I think) that I bought at The Fiber Gallery. It's a tad scratchy, and a little bigger than the other yarns, but it's such a fabulous color.

Now that I'm started, I only want to knit mittens. Too bad about that grading....

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are amazing! how you knit so much and still manage to eat and sleep is a mystery to me. such cute stuff! : )

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you keep Stella that still?

6:58 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Perkster: I ignore work as much as possible. Leaves more time for knitting.

Mom: Stella was chased around the park by our next-door neighbor's Aussie Shepherd, so she was pretty flat.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you about the mittens! Just made my first pair and while they're clunky looking next to yours, I love them.

Hey, I'm trolling for your plying advice that you offered TMK - would you mind sharing it with me? Still such a new spinner..... any help gratefully accepted....

my email is
writerach406@yahoo.com

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home