Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Red Sweater Report

Two days ago, I dug through my closet and all my drawers looking for a particular sweater, a store-bought red and gray Norwegian Star patterned one. I never did find it (and I still don't have a clue where it might be), but I did realize something. I have a lot of red sweaters.

No, really. A lot.

While my parents were here, I started a new sweater from the fabulous Wensleydale Longwool yarn that I bought in England. Color? Red. I commented to Mom that in wardrobe terms, it would sure be nice if I had a practial gray or black cardigan, but everytime I'm confronted with a pile of yarn, my favorite color is red. This is a particularly nice red (with a spiffy little twist stitch pattern):

Meanwhile, I'm temporarily stalled on Carpathian Black Roses because I'm currently at the point where I have to follow the chart and remember to do armhole decreases (which are complicated because I'm not doing them as charted because I decided to use steeks instead of knitting the yoke back and forth). But, look at this, it's red too.

Since today is laundry day anyway, and the closet was still in some disarray after the Monday morning rummage for the still-missing sweater, I decided to really take stock of my red sweater situation.

The front row is my three hand-knit red sweaters (well, two sweaters and a vest). The back row (8 total) is store-bought sweaters. So, that's 11, plus 1 AWOL and 2 in progress. Maybe I need to break out of this rut?

In completely unrelated news, Trent learned that cats make lousy Dulaan sweater models.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooh! Yarn Martyr is in for it now!

BTW, since you have so many red sweaters, you wouldn't miss one if it came to Ohio to visit, would you?

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

clearly i am not being true enough to blue. i own not a single blue sweater. it's a lovely color... one day, when i finally knit that really, really expensive sweater for myself, then i'll be able to say i have one. until then, you win. : )

5:03 PM  
Blogger trixie said...

But you look really good in red.

And if your weather is like our weather right now, red is the only rational response.

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sistah! Although I have zero red sweaters, sadly, I have at least half a dozen red shirt/jackets. Red is a great color to which I am irresistably drawn, even though sanity might prefer to clothe me in black.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I totally relate. . . . And let's just not even talk about how much red yarn is in the stash, ready to jump on the needles for more red sweaters!!! I noticed this about you, when you came to Ferals sporting a red Knitting Pure & Simple sweater that is *so* what I would have knitted!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

That picture of the cat is hilarious.

I have no current red sweaters, because me wearing red leads to everyone asking me if I am feeling all right -- apparently it makes me go all yellow. But as a teen I loved magenta and maroon and my grandma dutifully made me lovely sweaters in those colors, so I have a boxful...

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home