Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Not my week, my month, maybe my year

It hasn't been the happiest couple of weeks. First, there was the cruel shock of returning to work after the 2 week break. I hadn't managed to do very much grading or preparation over the break, so that first week back was a killer. But then it was interrupted by a snow day (Thursday Jan. 11). The day off work made me happy, but the slick white stuff did not inspire as much joy. Then, Sunday night, I slipped on the ice, conked my head on bricks that surround my neighbor's flowerbed, and gave myself a concussion. I'm willing to admit that I was childish and petulant about going to the hospital. They eventually did a CT scan, and I'm happy to report that my brain is in place and the size, shape, and presumably even the color that it is supposed to be.

To sum up: work, snow and ice, concussion, ow, work.

Knitting
My mom sent me a picture of an FO from last year, the Two Swans Tea Cozy. (It has "I'm a little teapot" on it. Awww...) I finished this for mom while she was visiting in the fall, and she whisked it away before I got a picture.


There's also been current knitting. I started and finished a scarf from my handspun (it was even roving dyed by moi) using the Yarn Harlot's one-row scarf pattern. I'll forever think of it as the concussion scarf. It's even appropriate bruise colors, purple and green. (I'll edit this post later today to add a picture of the scarf.) I'm a little bogged down with my complicated knitting right now, and I wanted to do something with faster gratification.

Everything else going on in my knitting life is about delayed gratification. Trent gave me the lovely book Latvian Dreams for Christmas (or my birthday? It's easy to lose track). When we used the Amazon gift certificate we got by running our vast amounts of change through a Coinstar machine, I ordered Victorian Lace Today. Both of these books are full of beautiful projects that I long to knit, but I have so many sweaters and socks and such in the works that I feel like I have to deal with some of them before I start any major new projects. (The scarf didn't count, since it only took 3 days.) Right now I'm making the most headway on the red Wensleydale sweater, pictured back in this post. The back is done, and one of the fronts (it's a cardigan) is just shy of the neck shaping. I'm also periodically forging ahead on Trent's green Fleece Artist socks and the green cormo/alpaca that I started spinning at the St. Distaff's spin-in.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

So sorry to hear that you had such a crappy week. Hope that you feel better really soon! Can't wait to see the picture of the scarf. Take care of yourself and feel better soon!
Kim

12:32 PM  
Blogger Valerie Polichar said...

trés cute teapot cover!

SO sorry about your concussion. I hope the weekend improves on the week!

4:46 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Sounds like knitting the Concussion Scarf is just the cure for what ails you. (Sorry about the slip-and-fall on the ice, BTW!) The tea cozy looks wonderful, and I hope your mom loves it.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home