Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Got my goat

Adventures in cooking
Lake City, my 'hood, has a new store, the Discount Warehouse. It's a purveyor of Halal meats, assorted Indian and Mediterranean foods, and some other oddities. I bought some delicious (and insanely low priced) lamb for stew last week. Today, Trent and I went there to try to get some stew beef. They didn't have any boneless stew beef, so we ended up buying goat.

Why?

Why not.

So, we asked the nice guy at the counter how he'd suggest cooking goat. They sell boxed spice mixes for assorted Indian foods [edited to add: the spice mixes are from Pakistan, but you'd recognize some of the dish names from Indian restaurants], and he recommended the "Karahi/Fry Gosht spice mix for meat", which we duly purchased. Trent cooked it while I went off to the Bernina shop for a demo of some soon-to-be-released pattern software. It was delicious, but holy mother of Ganesh, it was HOT. What's more, the recipe on the box recommended adding 8-10 chiles, which we didn't do. My throat hurts just thinking about it.

At any rate, should you find yourself in Lake City, and find yourself thinking, gee, I could use some meat, I can highly recommend the Discount Warehouse. It's a little hard to spot, tucked away on the backside of the Rekhi building, but it's well worth a stop. Where else are you going to buy your fresh goat and lethal spice mix?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home