Saturday, December 08, 2007

Carolina Crossroads mystery quilt

My life is so empty, boring, and full of free time that I decided to add another project. (That's sarcasm, y'all, in case that wasn't clear.) I'm a fan of Bonnie Hunter's fabulous website and blog. She started a quilt project and was persuaded to turn it into a mystery quilt sew-along, now called Carolina Crossroads (because she's in the middle of moving from SC to NC). The Yahoo group for the project ballooned up to 700+ members in 4 days - that's a lot of quilters. Holy cow.

Bonnie's all about using stash and scraps. The mystery quilt needs a light, a dark, and an accent. I'm using pink, black, and red, mostly from my stash, although I will admit that I bought a few more pinks to round out my collection.

Step 1 was to make 100 3.5" rail fence blocks, using dark/accent/dark. Here are mine, stacked into groups of 10 for ease of counting. As you can see, I'm using an extremely liberal definition of black and red.

Step 2 requires making 100 "accent in one corner" blocks, again 3.5". I'm up to 31 finished so far. They're a little fiddlier than the rail fences to get together.

I've been suffering from a lot of "help" in this process.

I really need to be working on some Christmas present projects, but I just can't seem to rip myself away from the mystery quilt.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Caroline said...

Wow, I love your colors! I'm on the list (and another HUGE fan of Bonnie's) but I haven't started yet. I'm in the middle of trying to finish two quilt tops before Christmas (and if I'm not completely delusional, get at least one of four tops quilted). By the way, I love your helper!

Caroline in NH
http://fiberarts.typepad.com

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home