Friday, January 11, 2008

stash explosion

To satisfy my sibs
Since my siblings were kvetching in the comments on the last entry, here are two more Springfield stories.

On the visit to the F&M store, my niece, Camera Obscura's youngest, somehow managed to talk me into agreeing to make her a messenger bag. She also managed to talk her mom into paying for it, so at least I'm not the only one susceptible to her influence. A few years ago she sweet talked me into making her a felted purse. She's good, that one. She could be a very successful lobbyist. It's also worth noting that I was in there so long that my sisters, sister-in-law, and niece all gave up on me and went outside to wait in the car.

When Trent and I decided to walk the Galloway Greenway, we set out at about 3:30 in the afternoon. It doesn't get dark quite as early in Springfield as it does here, but nonetheless we were perhaps overly ambitious. When we left, I said that we might walk to the nature conservancy. My brother said it was way too far. A lifetime of being an obnoxious know-it-all younger sister meant I was by god going to walk that far. We did, but by the time we got there Trent had blisters, my feet hurt, and it was getting dark. We called home and asked for someone to come retrieve us (because Springfield, for its many virtues, doesn't have anything like a useful public transit system), and of course my brother was the only one who knew where to come get us. It was win-win: he got to feel superior because I was dumb enough to walk five miles without a way to get home, and I got to feel superior because I was right.

Fabric stash
The box of fabric I bought in Springfield arrived this week. Here's the contents:

On the right side of the front row you'll see the fabric my niece chose for her bag and its lining. The other fabric on that row is the beginning of a collection for the quilt Mom requested. Row 2 is quilt stash enhancement. The top row is garment or miscellaneous messenger bag fabric.

Meanwhile, my friend Karen is moving and wanted to clear out some of her fabric. She sent me a stuffed box:

Wowza. I guess I'd better get cracking with the quilt making.

Knitting
I finished something! Nothing exciting, but still:

Top up socks from Mega Boot Stretch, and a scarf from Taos wool. (That's a cat tail in the upper left of the picture, by the way.)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was only 4 miles. You said the by God sign said so. So the drama.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Wow, my ex-fabric looks so purty the way you have it laid out there that I almost want it back. Almost.

The scary part is the amount of stash I *didn't* send you. Ahem.

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'd love to take anybody's "extra" stash off their hands for working with teens in knitting and alt. fashion.

and melinda, you know that one of my goals for this year (besides not having 5 jobs) is to have you teach me how to sew mo' bettah.

miss you. it hasn't snowed yet in pa and i miss peeve and my tall drink of water, but i'm doing good work at conference. so tired but can't sleep. thanks for the bloggy.

hugs to you and tman. hope you're both not sick anymore. i'm better. maybe we can get together sometime at end of jan.?

hugs from philly!

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home