Sunday, April 09, 2006

Action packed

Not really, but I'm kind of blank of clever titles this evening.

Knitting
I've added another WIP to the mix. I'm now making the felted furry slippers from Stitch n' Bitch Nation. One of my friends is ill, and I think ridiculous furry slippers will, at least, make him chuckle. I'm going to turn these into aliens (instead of monsters) by adding some tentacles and antennae...and maybe three eyes per slipper. We'll see. I'm a bit concerned about sizing, because the pattern is written for women's medium, and my friend is men's large (he's tall, so I'm assuming he has long feet). The unfelted slipper looks ridiculous, so I'm praying it comes out okay.

I also made some progress on Trent's rainbow sock this weekend. The pink sparkly sock is still on hold.

Food
Trent and I tried a new (to us) restaurant, The Jones Bistro in Maple Leaf, on Friday night, and on our scale of goodness it rates at about a "Roll around on the floor in joy." It has Seattle standard decor - exposed pipe, dark walls, dark lighting, tall booths, tall bar tables - but it wasn't radiating snotty pretension, so we gave it a go. They have a decent selection of NW microbrews, and what looks to be a good wine list (we had beer, so I can't vouch for the wine). Trent ordered the French Onion Soup to start. It took a damn long time to get to us, but since the menu says everything is made fresh, we assumed they were back there caramelizing the onions. It was worth the wait - yummy smooth transcendence with cheese toast. They use GOOD cheese, too, something a little sharp to offset the sweet onions. The only thing a little sad about the soup was that they fill the ramekin right up to the edge, so it's impossible not to slosh a little.

I had the flank steak sandwich, which was so damn good that I had to close my eyes and have a private moment with it after the first bite. It comes with fries, and they're some of the best fries in Seattle. (I say that with confidence. We've eaten a lot of fries, y'all.) While I was making snorting piggy noises and shoveling in fries and licking horseradish sauce and steak juice off my fingers, Trent was consorting with his pork tenderloin. It was juicy and spicy, and the veggie tagine and couscous that it's served with are actually good and right with it, not just fancy plate dressing.

We were stuffed, but decided to split one of the fancy drinks, the "Chocolate Scandal" for dessert. As their cocktail list says, "A celebration of dessert flavors is achieved with Stoli Vanil, Bailey's, Kahlua, Frangelico, and dark Creme de Cacao. Shaken and strained into a chocolate-encircled, frozen martini glass." Mmmmmm, choco-tini.

I was so globally happy from the food and drinks that when we got home and discovered Stella had raided my bookbag and shredded a tupperware and a maxi pad (and apparently eaten a Ricloa cough drop, since I found a wrapper), I just laughed and laughed. Bad dog owner.

Fun
This afternoon we went to an engagement party. Our friends Melissa and Paul are officially engaged now. He proposed in Paris, on a bridge over the Seine. Awwww...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, now I'm slobbering on the keyboard. I think your dinner sounds a lot better than Stella's. Bad dog! Bad dog!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Camera Obscura said...

One of these years, when I get a blog with comments, I'm gonna take a poll on the most UN-romantic proposal ever. 'Cause I think the one I kinda got ranks right up there.

I'm sure you probably assumed he just did it the old-fashioned way. He has his much-younger SILs snowed.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaawwwww - how sweet!

Your meal sounds scrumptious ;o)

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home