Friday, January 26, 2007

Jealousy

All the cool kids are at the Madrona Fiber Arts Retreat, and I'm sad and jealous. I didn't sign up because I knew I'd be crazy busy with work at this time of year, and that's absolutely true. I'm not even going to go the market because, good lord, my stash is ginormous. But I'm still feeling the magnetic pull of all that fibery goodness, so close...

Meanwhile, I just can't seem to wedge much knitting time into my work week. I'm not doing so well on the walking, either. I'm currently at 31, which is pretty much on track for the month. I've only made it out once this week, though (yesterday), and last week was only 2 walks. If I can manage to avoid falling asleep as soon as I get home, I should be able to get another 3 or so miles in today when I get home from work.

Wallpaper
Kmkat asked everyone to post their desktop pictures. I don't actually have one up right now because of the glacial slowness of my poor work laptop, but here are two favorite desktops past.



The top photo is the harbor of Zeerikzee, a small town in the Zeeland province of the Netherlands. We've been there a couple of times, on bike trips. It may be my favorite place in the world. The light is gorgeous, and I always feel happy and peaceful there.
The second photo is somewhere along the coast of Oregon, from the bike trip we took two summers ago. The views were staggering. Since this picture is well-composed and not blurry, I imagine Trent took it.
Seeing these makes me weepy with longing for summer vacation. I know that, compared to people with normal business jobs, my 7 weeks off a year is a lot. But I still want more. I don't know how people survive going off to work at the same place day after day with only a week here and there for relief. I'm practically counting the days until I'm eligible for sabbatical.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The second photo is Heceta Head, south of Yachats. It's one of my favorite places in the whole world. Sez and I were beach-combing under the lighthouse when she quietly said "uh...Elaine?" and I was smacked by a sneaker wave. From then on those two words make me RUN!

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos! Thanks for playing along.

I work 10 - 12 weeks a year as a tax accountant. Killer hours during that time, but the rest of the year more than makes up for it, plus I love the work. I agree with you -- how do people go to the same job week after week?

5:24 PM  
Blogger Growbot said...

hmmmm...they say the Heceta Head lighthouse is the most photographed lighthouse in the world.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain...I work into the evening and so can't get to the knitting gatherings in the Seattle area. But I love to read the local knitting blogs, and I check your blog every day.

You might want to check out wta.org for fantastic photos of our wonderful state (see the Photo Gallery). I use their photos for a desktop and change it out every month. And many of those vistas are a mere stroll away, not hiking at all...give it another month or so, and you'll be able to have a sweet little day-vacation each weekend, adding on those miles! Don't despair!

Sorry to tell you that the Madrona Arts Retreat was fabulous today. Wonderful vendors, and Janine Bajus' class on Fair Isle was outstanding. Sorry, sorry, sorry.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home