Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Dulaan Event Announcement

Dulaan Announcement

I'll be hosting a Dulaan knit-in on Sunday, March 19 from approximately 2-6 (early and latecomers welcome, but you may find me doing dishes). Ryan (and, I assume, TMK) will be here. I'll provide food: some munchies, probably some sort of stewy type stuff, and some beverages. If you have Dulaan-suitable yarn that you don't want to knit, for whatever reason, bring it along, as I'm planning a swap pile.

I live in Lake City (a neighborhood in north Seattle, for those of you who aren't from around these parts). Please RSVP to mkmorrowATyahooDOTcom so I know approximately how many people are coming. I'll send directions and real-world contact information.

Please note: I have 2 dogs (also 2 cats, but you're not likely to see them). I'd love for anyone and everyone who is interested to come, but I can't exile the dogs for four or five hours. They're friendly and reasonably well-behaved, but they're still dogs, with pointy ears and shrill barks and slobbery dog toys and allergenic fur.

Other Knitting News

One of the baby shower projects is now in the hands of the mom-to-be, so here's a picture:

Details:
Yarn: Stahl Wolle Limbo Superwash sport weight from Village Yarn and Tea
Pattern: Structure from a Michelle Wyman Effectiveness by Design Seamless Raglan Cardigan pattern, with extensive modifications.
Approximately 2 year-old size (I think? I'm really vague on baby sizes)
My first zipper! I wish I had put some sort of toggle or button or something at the top, but I ran out of time.

I sent the Clock Vest off to Mom via priority mail today. I'm anxious. I hope she likes it, and I hope it's the right size.

I ended up spinning the last of some eye-searing hand-painted (by Woolgatherings) Corriedale that I bought at Northwest Wools in Portland. There was a ton of this stuff. Most of it has already been spun and plied with a dark eggplant NZ wool, and I'm just trying to clear the bobbin off by spinning the last of it. I'll navajo ply it and turn it into a Dulaan hat.

Of Students and Research

Kathleen commented yesterday, regarding Wikipedia, that "it can be a good jumping off point, especially if you know little to nothing about a subject because you can farm some really great words to use in other, more indepth academic searches." I absolutely agree, Kathleen. I use Wikipedia all the time, and I don't mind if my students use it - after all, how can you research a topic if you don't know enough about it to do the right kinds of searches? My issue is that my students sometimes cite Wikipedia as their lone source, and in a senior-level humanities class, that's just not okay. My colleague argued that she'd rather have a relevant, clear quote from Wikipedia than a bunch of marginally related BS, but I'm going to stick to my guns and prefer credible, verified information over either of those.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The picture does not do that cardigan justice.

The mom-to-be :)

6:11 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Mongrain said...

I'm coming so that I can play with the dogs and get some knitting in! Love this!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

You're knitting is marvelous.

I totally agree on not the "lone source" - my 15 yo does not agree. However, I'm the Mom. I win! :) He had to use more the Wikipedia in his report for his Criminal Justice class. Bad mommy!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Meant to also say - I wish I didn't live so far away so I could come and meet you all at your knit-in! :(

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me in for the Knit-In. Maybe I can bring the dog-treats.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I can come late . . . :)

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home