Sunday, February 26, 2006

Officially, really done

Knitting Olympics: The Closing Ceremonies



Yes, the buttons are really sewn on - they're not just sitting there. The color is washed out in the first two pictures, but I'm using them because you can see the cables so clearly. I was done before the closing ceremonies started broadcasting in my time zone, so I think I'm officially golden.

(Dorothy left a comment on Friday's post that she was "confident [I] wouldn't biff the method air." How cool is Dorothy? I thought she was just making that up, but no, it turns out that the move Lindsey Jacobellis bit it on really was a method air.)

I'm planning to get it packaged and sent off to Mom on Tuesday. Meanwhile, I plunged back into my other knitting projects while I was waiting for the vest to dry. I'm making a raglan Cloud Sweater for Dulaan, and I'm working on another baby sweater that will be a gift. I may actually spin for awhile tonight.

Other Weekend Festivities

Ryan and TMK came by on Saturday to use my swift and ballwinder. Here's TMK's wound yarn. We're all so proud.

Speculation continues about what the yarn will become. I'm pulling for a hat. Meanwhile, TMK has taken my broken bobbin away for an attempted repair. Y'all, if you're ever going to loan out spinning supplies, I highly recommend loaning them to a woodworker.

Saturday night, Trent and I went out with our friends Alex and Christine to the Elysian Brew Pub on Capitol Hill. Trent and I usually go to the Elysian Tangletown (because it's way closer), but the food is better on Capitol Hill. I had the fish an chips, and the fish was perfectly fried and delicious, whereas the last time I had it at Tangletown there was a nasty gummy layer between the crispy batter and the fish. Trent had the stroganoff, which was also tasty. They're currently having a winter brew fest, so Alex tried a trayful of winter beer samples - some of which were good, and some of which were just interesting. They had the Wise ESB on cask, so I stuck with that.

Tomorrow I have a mandatory faculty development day. I'm anticipating pain and suffering. Only one item on the agenda is clearly beneficial or applicable to me. Well, two if you count lunch. I'm SO taking my knitting. Stay tuned to find out whether anyone was mysteriously stabbed with a DPN.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dorothy Neville said...

Dorothy's coolness comes from spending the week skiing at Bachelor instead of frantically knitting every moment. A ski patrol guy on the lift with DH and DS explained Lindsey's method air and a couple snowboarders on the lift with me explained biffing.

As for my quest for the gold? Will have to wait for Beijing, I am afraid. The sleeves need about four more rows, then it is blocking and sewing time. If I had chosen drop shoulders I would so be done by now, but noooo, I had to challenge myself with set-in sleeves.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Beautiful vest, Melinda. I sure your mother will love the surprise! Good for you on the GOLD!

I am an also-ran. Turns out there was another mother that I knew at the ski place, so my dedicated loom time was slowed down to a chatting pace. I am a few booties shy of the Gold... but I did get a bunch of things done. I may have set my sights too high on this one!

6:56 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I am so impressed. The vest looks great. I hope you plan to keep blogging even though you are a fabulous gold-medal winnning knitter!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Dorothy Neville said...

The vest really is lovely. Your mom is really lucky. You'll let us know her reaction, yes?

My cooler-than-me son noticed and approved your badger shirt in yesterday's photos.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not really anonymous--this is Nancy, Keeper of the Shroud. I think I fell off the chair lift--I never was any good at winter sports, unless it involved throwing iceballs at the neighbor boys. At closing ceremony time, my sock lay in a dark basement room--I had to rip back to before the toe begins and add another lace pattern. Rippping out lace is HARD! Anyway, I'm back on track this morning, spent an hour knitting at Le Panier in the Pike Market while being stood up for a coffee date.

The vest is beautiful! I am very proud to bask in the reflected glow of the Gold of Others. I saw Dorothy's son Zach just now coming home from school wearing his Gold, a luxurious blue hat--he finished on Wednesday, and it looks smashing on him.

My sympathies on Faculty Development Day. I always resent others' need to Develop me.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cables impress the heck out of me, and I am in awe of your vest. Hooray, we're done!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home