Monday, April 24, 2006

2 pubs, pink sock, and other adventures

It's been busy. If I were a better blogger, I would have toted the camera around for all the action the last few days, but, well, I'm not.

Friday
I became aware that I was babbling in my 8 a.m. class. That's always a painful moment. I just blithely pretended I was making sense and moved on to the next topic. The rest the day continued in much that style. I think I graded some papers and dealt with some committee work, but it's also possible that I spent most of the day staring blankly at my computer. I zoomed home in time to take a nap before heading out for Friday night fun.

I dropped Trent off at Hale's and headed to the sale at The Fiber Gallery. (Somehow, Trent didn't relish the prospect of being stuckin a yarn store while it was under attack from bargain barbarians.) It's possible that I bought some yarn, maybe enough for 4 pairs of socks and a future gift to a friend. I also saw Dorothy and Zach. Back at Hale's, I worked on the sparkly pink 2 circs sock while waiting for dinner. We moved on to Conor Byrne for another delightful performance by Datri Bean, with a really fun opening band, Sasparilla. They play very cool old time and blues on washboard, washtub bass, dobro, and harmonica. I knit the pink sock before the music started and between sets. Plain stockinette is a wonderful thing in a dimly lit pub, and since Conor Byrne's fancies itself an Irish pub, I thought knitting contributed to the atmosphere.

Saturday
Spring sprung! I've got tulips to prove it. After the regulation trip to the dog park, Trent and I ended up running errands. Somehow those errands involved visiting a guitar shop. Supposedly, he was shopping "for a friend", but it looks a lot like he was shopping for himself. I knit on the pink sock and tried to remain unconcerned.

By Saturday night, I became very absorbed with spinning Maria. I spun and navajo plied a sample, which came out at just over 5 sts/inch. It's pretty coarse wool, but I love the crisp feel and the way the natural fleece colors make for subtle variegations.

Sunday was also beautiful, and despite the serious professorial work I needed to do, I spent much of the day sitting in the sun spinning. (The picture below was taken at night, not in the sun. And yes, that's a dog snout at the top of the picture.)

Roger and Avril came over for pizza, beer, and sock instruction, and then I finally applied my nose to the grindstone at about 9 last night to read the textbook manuscript I needed to review by today.

Which brings us to Monday. Chloe got her stitches out (yay!) and is less itchy now. I made the entirely happy discovery that my class today only involved showing them a movie. I even hauled my fat self to the health club and hamstered away on the treadmill for awhile. Incidentally, the Yarn Harlot is completely right - audio books are life-changing. Even better, they can be downloaded free from our fine local library system. I've been knitting, spinning, and health clubbing with books.

Aside from the pink socks and spinning Maria, I've been working to finish up the Dulaan cloud sweater. I'm now on the second arm, and the end is definitely in sight.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dorothy Neville said...

the suspense....I just have to ask. What ancient, unrealistic film did you show your class this week?

9:45 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Hee. The Monday class is different from the Thursday class that keeps bitching about my film choices. In the Monday class, we have a reading about the hero myth in films. I showed them _The Incredibles_.

Thursday, we'll be carrying on with Clockwork Orange. Last week we discussed the novel, this week the film.

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heart audio books! esp. for us reluctant and somewhat slow/picky readers who started late and never caught up. ahem. ooh, you've been "health clubbing"? how responsible of you. not me, i just sit and wait for the pounds to accumulate. wishing, more like.

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home