Friday, February 02, 2007

Poetry

Today is the Second Annual Brigid in Cyberspace Poetry Reading. I participated last year (see the Feb 2006 archives) with one of my very favorite poems by Louis Simpson. This year's poem is by one of Trent's favorites, Charles Simic:

My Weariness of Epic Proportions

I like it when
Achilles
Gets killed
And even his buddy Patroclus --
And that hothead Hector --
And the whole Greek and Trojan
Jeunesse doree
Is more or less
Expertly slaughtered
So there's finally
Peace and quiet
(The gods having momentarily
Shut up)
One can hear
A bird sing
And a daughter ask her mother
Whether she can go to the well
And of course she can
By that lovely little path
That winds through
The olive orchard

3 Comments:

Blogger deborahoak said...

beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2:13 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

Wonderful! I love the detail of the olive orchard - it's those details that delight me so much in good poetry.

melanie
http://teareads.blotspot.com

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you still out there?...miss the blogging big time.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home