Monday, March 19, 2007

Time keeps on slippin'....

In the nearly-a-month since my last post, the following things have happened:

1. I finished an academic term, which means I spent two weeks straight grading papers and then wept in despair because so many of my students failed because they didn't turn in assignments. If they had turned in more assignments, I would have had to do yet more grading, but at least it wouldn't have seemed so futile.

2. After the plague of F's, only magenta mohair could cure my pain, so I promptly cast on the Spider Web Shawl (full hexagon version) from Victorian Lace Today. It's motoring right along. I've dubbed mine the Eye Searing Pink (ESP for short) shawl, because...well, as soon as I can get our home computer to talk to Blogger, or remember to transfer pictures, I'll show you. Oh, and the camera will need new batteries.

3. There were a series of computer problems. For awhile, my work laptop wouldn't speak to our home network. Meanwhile, our home computer (now an cute widdle Mac) won't speak to Blogger as long as our wireless connection is encrypted. This state of affairs greatly inhibited my ability to update my blog.

4. I had a glorious week without work. I knit, I took the dogs to the park, and I cooked. I have no real memory of anything else. I think there was some fabric and yarn shopping, and also a lot of sleep.

5. I decided to start sewing again. I stopped sewing several years ago because the patterns never fit and the fabric selection was lousy anyway. Now, however, there's a lot of cute fabric available. Also, I had an "Ah ha!" moment and realized I could make test versions of garments out of cheap fabric (these are also known as muslins). I have no idea why it took me 5 years to realize this, because I made muslins for everything back in college when I worked in the costume shop. It's fascinating to return to sewing after several years of knitting because I have a great deal more patience for the process now. I spent two evenings last week working on a muslin for a dress bodice (because I'd like to be able to raise my arms), and I wasn't nearly as twitchy and frustrated as I would have been 5 years ago. It's like swatching, but bigger and faster. Once I get the picture/computer connection issue straightened out, I'll post pictures of recent fabric and pattern acquisitions, too.

6. A new term started. My body came back to work, but my brain didn't. Those first few classes were pretty painful. I may not have used coherent English sentences. I wouldn't be surprised if I sounded like a Charlie Brown teacher.

7. I went to San Francisco for the annual get-together of my online knitting group, and forgot the camera. It was a completely wonderful trip: good friends and lots of laughing. (Also, some shopping, and more than a few glasses of wine.)

8. There's probably been more, but damned if I can remember. I'll try to create a more colorfully picturey and linky post tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Well even if you can't remember everything it sure does sound like you had a very busy month. Glad to have you back! Can't wait to see pictures.
Kim

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shawl sounds wonderful.
If you run out of anything to do, you can come help me move.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you're back with Blog updates! Missed you while you were down;} Also, missed you at Ferals yesterday. There were so many people, we had to bring in an extra table and more chairs!

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home